Update 1: I just received the update from build 8779, not the expected 8858. At the end of that update, I was disappointed to see Zune tell me that my phone was up to date. Apparently, repeating exactly the steps described below, from step 1, is what needs to be done. Still no luck for me though… I guess it’s a matter of timing? Anyway, good luck with your update!
Update 2: After multiple trials, I finally got it! Apparently (this kind of guess is always to consider very carefully), it seems that disabling the airplane mode on the phone between the 2 updates, before reactivating it, AND THEN reproducing the steps below, is the way to do it.
So here’s the exact process I followed to manage to get it to work on my phone (10 minutes ago):
- Make sure your phone is disconnected from your PC and Zune is shut down
- Put your phone in Airplane mode
- Connect it to your PC
- Zune starts automatically: wait a few seconds for the phone to be fully connected to Zune. You know that it’s the case when on the phone page, you see total space used.
- Go to Settings
- Attention, prepare yourself to click Update, and immediately after that, to disconnect your computer from the Internet
- A few seconds after doing that, Zune should inform you that an update is available for your phone: don’t do anything!
- Connect your PC back to the Internet
- Now click Update and let the magic begin…
After that, make sure to check the Places Manager App and let me know if you like it